Monday 4 November 2013

Labyrinth of Death | Chapter 18


“It’s still there!” Raenen yelled back to Barras.
Barras grunted as he heaved himself up the slight precipice he had earlier fallen from. “Wonder how many freighters Radoth’s flown in his life?”
He surged through the snow and overtook Raenen. “I’ll carve the path now.”
“You only gave me five minutes,” Raenen said as she walked behind him.
“That’s because it’s my job,” said Barras. “You shouldn’t be doing it. It doesn’t seem right.”
“Because why?”
“Because.”
“That’s not an answer, Barras.”
“I’ll give you an answer when we catch Radoth,” said Barras.
Silence from behind.
Barras gritted his teeth and forged on. “How well do you fight assassins?”
“Never did it.” Raenen sighed. “What are we going to do with Radoth once we’ve caught him?”
Barras shrugged. “Didn’t think that far ahead. Probably knock him out and tie him up and stuff him in the hold.”
“And what if he escapes?”
“Then I’ll shoot him.” Barras paused his efforts to catch his breath. “I will not allow Radoth to destroy what I’ve worked to preserve.”
“What’s that?”
Barras spun and stared into her green eyes. “You.” He turned again and forced his way through the snow. “Not much further.”
“I hope he hasn’t seen us,” said Raenen. “Or sensed us.”
Barras patted their one surviving blaster. “I’ll protect you, Rae.” He winced. “Sorry. Raenen.”
“You can call me Rae,” said Raenen softly.
“When we get Radoth in custody, I’m going to ask you why you told Falex not to call you Rae.” Barras floundered out of the snow and onto a rocky formation where the ship rested. He knelt and reached down, gripping Raenen’s hand and pulling her up. “So get ready to talk.”
She glanced at him, an unreadable expression on her face. “You may not like it, but I’ll tell you when we’re safe.”
“Was that an echo?” Barras grinned at her and glanced at the freighter. “Come on. We can enter through the hatch that leads into the hold.” He gave a shiver. “My nose is cold.”
The ship creaked. The gangplank on the underside began to descend.
Barras pulled Raenen behind one of the thick landing gear legs. “Hide!”
He watched from his covert position as a tall figure walked down the gangplank, a toolbox in his hand.
“He’s doing some sort of fixing, looks like,” Raenen whispered.
Barras pulled the blaster out of his holster and gripped it in his left hand. “Should I face him?”
“Wait till his back is turned.”
As if listening, Radoth set down the toolbox and slid open a plate of armour beneath the engines.
Barras stepped out from behind the freighter’s leg. “Put your hands on your head. Don’t move.”
Radoth spun and glared at Barras. “You survived?”
“Do it!”
Radoth’s lightsaber literally sprang into his hand. “Drop your weapon, trooper.”
Barras fired. Radoth deflected the shot into the rock. Barras aimed at Radoth’s leg and shot again. The Sith assassin leapt over the shot and landed in front of Barras, striking at his neck. Barras ducked and fired his blaster into Radoth’s ankle.
“Ahrg!” The Sith assassin slashed at the blaster.
Barras felt a sudden searing pain in his left elbow, followed by a numbing ache. He cried out as Radoth smashed him to the ground with the Force and stared at him. “You’re a problem, Kampion. So I’ll just kill you here and now. It’s obviously a mistake to keep you alive to suffer a painful death.”
Barras raised his left arm weakly and recoiled. His forearm and hand were missing, along with the blaster. Dropping the remainder of his arm to his side, he glared at the Sith assassin. “I’m not dead yet, Radoth.”
“You will be, soon.” Radoth smiled and raised his lightsaber.
A shot rang out.
Another.
Radoth half turned, then fell forwards onto the rock, his lightsaber clattering out of his hand.
Barras sat up, wincing at the pain in his arm. Raenen strode forwards, gripping the blaster, and placed the gun against Radoth’s head. Barras looked away just as the shot rang out.
He looked back to see Raenen drop the blaster and approach him. “Barras, are you all right?”
“As good as I can be with my arm gone, yep.” Barras rose, grunting. “This wound still hurts. At least the saber cauterised it.”
Raenen stepped up to him and hugged him. “I’m glad you’re still alive.” Her voice broke. “Don’t ever do that again, Barras. Let’s not try and apprehend a Sith next time.”
Barras hugged her back with his good arm. “I’ll stay alive for you, Raenen.” He pulled back from their embrace. “Let’s get out of here.”
Raenen nodded, then leaned in and kissed him on the cheek. “Mission completed.”

––––––––––––––––––––––––

Dmitri Pendragon
Blog Moderator

6 comments:

  1. Of course, it's not a Star Wars story until someone's body part is cut off by a lightsaber. xD Not trying to apprehend any more Sith sounds like an excellent idea. But I loved the ending!

    Is this the end of the story, or is there more?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dmitri said there was just the epilogue left.

      Delete
    2. Yeah…I wouldn't have ended it like that, but my characters took control. So you can thank Barras and Raenen for that ending.

      There's the epilogue left, as Raptor said.

      Delete
    3. How would you have ended it? And tell Barras ans Raenan thank you for me.

      On how much is left- got it. I look forward to reading the epilogue!

      Delete
    4. I don't know how I would have ended it. I didn't let them do everything they wanted to do, though.

      And I told them thank you.

      Delete

CaC2er? Comment, by all means!
Elf of the Underground? Welcome, and we hope you join CaC2!
Viewer? You're welcome to comment, as long as it's relevant.