Wednesday 23 October 2013

Labyrinth of Death | Chapter 6

Prologue | Chapter 1 | Chapter 2 | Chapter 3 | Chapter 4 | Chapter 5 | Chapter 6


Hirda entered the centreroom. Barras looked up from his game of rocks with Dalfis.
“We’re in hyperspace,” announced Hirda. “For those of you who don’t know, we’re headed to Glewthon. I don’t know why. Ask the captain or Lord Radoth if you want an answer to that. I’d suggest not asking the Sith.”
Dalfis groaned. “Hirda, bro, do you know any strategies for winning this game?”
Barras glanced at Dalfis as Hirda sat down next to his brother. “Don’t even try, Hirda. He’s doomed anyway.”
Dalfis released another moan. “And I put down thirty credits on this.”
Hirda jabbed his brother in the side. “What, thirty? Come on, Dalfis! He’s the champion at rocks! Next time, either don’t challenge him or bet a lower number of credits.”
“I only did thirty because he said he’d do fifty if I did it!” wailed Dalfis.
“Grow up, Dalfis,” said Barras, concentrating on the game. “You’ll learn from this game.” He slapped down a card, face-up, displaying a red circle with the number three inside. “Three rocks, please.”
Dalfis groaned. “Another red three. How do you get all the good cards?”
Hirda stood. “I think I’ll excuse myself from watching this game and go check on my ship.” The pilot left the room.
“Bye,” called Barras as Dalfis pushed three of his remaining five rocks to Barras’ side.
“I know what’s coming,” said Dalfis, putting down a card with a yellow circle and the number one. Picked up a card from the pile. With a pleased look on his face, he slipped the card into his hand.
“Don’t give things away like that,” Barras said, dropping a card with a yellow circle and the number three onto into play. He picked up three cards from the draw pile, a look of displeasure passing over his face, and frowned at Dalfis. “See what I did? Now you don’t know if I have good cards or bad cards, because I’m frowning. I might be tricking you into thinking I have good cards.”
“You know what?” Dalfis said, staring at Barras. “I think you have bad cards. And you’re trying to make me think you have good ones.”
“Oh?” Barras raised one eyebrow. “How do you know that?”
Dalfis pointed at Barras. “I can read it in your eyes.” He put down a red three with a triumphant grin. “I’d like those three rocks back, please.”
Barras revealed a blue three. “Nope. Play cancelled.”
Dalfis stared at the blue three, then glared at Barras. “Unfair!”
Barras grabbed the rulebook and tossed it into Dalfis’ lap. “Completely fair. Read this again if you haven’t learned that rule yet.”
Dalfis pushed the rulebook aside and groaned. “Your turn. You played a blue, so you get to play again.”
Barras slapped down a red two and grinned. “You lose.” He grabbed Dalfis’ credit chip and flicked in the air. Caught it. “Thanks.”
Dalfis rose with a frustrated groan and walked off. “Pack up the game, Barras.”
A new voice rang from the door. “You play rocks, Barras?”
Barras twisted and looked back at Raenen. “Raenen, you feeling better now?”
A series of laughs echoed from the other Sith troopers. “That’s the first time I’ve ever heard Barras ask if someone was all right!” called Falex. “You’re good for him, Raenen!”
Barras dropped his head, his ears burning. Red tinged his cheeks. “Yes, Raenen, I do play rocks.”
“Of course he plays rocks!” shouted Falex. “He’s the champion at rocks!”
Barras looked up to see Raenen seat herself across from him. She grinned at him. “In that case, I challenge you to a game of rocks.”
Falex whistled. “No one’s challenged Barras for a long time, Raenen. He has to challenge others now to get them to play with him. And he has to offer a higher sum of credits.”
“Hey, Falex! Taden Aminnor challenged me the day before we left!”
“Ignore him,” said Raenen, separating the thirty red-painted rocks into two piles. “You deal.”
“Sure.” Barras scooped up all the cards, turning the played cards face-down, and shuffled them quickly. “You want to play for money or for fun?”
Raenen smiled. “I think I’ll play for money.” She put down a credit chip. “Fifty.”
A chorus of oohs echoed from the room. Falex laughed.
“Fifty?” asked Barras. “You sure?”
Raenen nodded. “Yep. Your bet.”
“Well, it wouldn’t be fair to go lower.” Barras touched the credit chip to his left. “I’ll go fifty too.”
Dalfis sat down near them. “I think I’ll watch this match.”
“Me too,” said Falex, collapsing next to Dalfis. “I’ll get to see someone beat Raenen up.” He glanced at Remin. “For a change.”
Remin harrumphed from his corner. “Go stuff your mouth down the engine plug, Falex. It isn’t welcome here.”
“Well—” Perayn pushed off from the wall, rose, and approached them. “I’m not usually a fan of rocks, but I think I’ll watch a match to keep me interested.” He glanced between the two contestants. “So keep me interested.”
Barras dealt five cards to Raenen and five cards to himself. “Sure, Perayn.” He nodded to his opponent. “You start.”
Raenen considered her cards carefully. Dropped a black one face-up. “Discard a blue card.”
Barras blinked. “Wha—” He shook his head. “Don’t have one.” Grinned at her. “You just wasted your black.”
Raenen picked up a card from the draw pile, staying silent.
Barras placed a green one, then a yellow one. Picked up two cards. “Your turn.”
Raenen slapped down a green one, a green three, and dropped three red threes on the floor. “That’ll be ten rocks, please.”

––––––––––––––––––

Dmitri Pendragon
Blog Moderator

5 comments:

  1. Now this will be interesting. Did Raenin just beat Barras? Because I think she might've.

    BTW, is this rocks game a real game, or real in the SW universe, at least?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you lose all fifteen of your rocks, then you've lost. Raenen's just played a highly improbable—but possible and valid—play, which is taking away two-thirds of Barras's rocks. So she hasn't won yet, but Barras will now have to retrieve twenty-five rocks while Raenen only has to take five more.

      I made it up. It's not a Star Wars game.

      Delete
    2. So she probably will win. The next chapter will be very interesting . . .

      Ah, got it. Just wondering.

      Delete

CaC2er? Comment, by all means!
Elf of the Underground? Welcome, and we hope you join CaC2!
Viewer? You're welcome to comment, as long as it's relevant.