Tuesday 22 October 2013

Labyrinth of Death | Chapter 5

Prologue | Chapter 1 | Chapter 2 | Chapter 3 | Chapter 4 | Chapter 5


Barras peeked into the cockpit, scanning for danger. Danger, that is, in the form of Darth Radoth. No danger detected. He took a step inside and glanced behind him, then went over to sit next to Hirda.
“Where are we going?”
Hirda flicked a switch, staring at a screen showing a range of red lights. “One of Tallusi’s moons.”
“Oh? Which one?”
A peculiar smile came over Hirda’s face as he glanced at Barras. “One named Glewthon.”
“Glewthon.” Barras shrugged. “Never heard of it.” He caught sight of Hirda’s smile and pointed a finger at him. “Why are you smiling like that?”
Hirda attempted to remove the smile. “Sorry. I just know what Glewthon’s like. That’s all.”
“What’s Glewthon like?”
Hirda glanced back at his screen. “Think of the cold in Korriban’s passageways.”
Barras slumped back in the copilot’s chair. “Oh, no.”
“Minus twenty degrees.”
Barras squeezed his eyes shut. “You know, Hirda, I think I’m going to look and see if we have any sub-zero clothing in the supplies room.”
He left the cockpit to the sound of Hirda’s laughter.

–––––

“Captain Moran, sir?”
The captain turned. “Yes, Kampion? I’m busy, so speak your piece and get out of here before I use your ears for sweeping the floor.”
“Do we have any sub-zero clothing in store?”
Captain Moran bestowed an extra large smile on Barras. “Yes, we do. Now get out of here.”
“One more thing, captain, if you have time?”
“I don’t. Get out.”
“What are we doing on Glewthon?”
The captain glared at him. “Kampion!”
“Yes, sir?”
“Go and wash the cabins.”

–––––

“Sentenced to cleaner’s duty,” grumbled Barras as he jabbed his elbow into the door controls, lugging a bucket full of hot water and a mop. “All because I asked one more question that I was allowed to.”
He staggered inside and set down the bucket. Straightened and stretched. “Raenen!”
“Why are you in here?” asked Raenen angrily from one of the cupboard-style beds. “I told you to go away!”
The ship shook faintly, and Raenen groaned, turning over onto her other side.
Barras squinted at her. “You don’t look too good. Maybe you should go and see a doctor.” He laughed as he dipped the mop into the bucket and slopped water on the ground. “Even though he’s only a virtual doctor.”
“Barras, please.” Raenen’s voice was muffled. “Go away.”
Barras grinned at his mop. “Sorry, I’m on cleaner’s duty. I have orders to stay in here until it’s as clean as a lightsaber’s blade. Orders from Captain Moran.”
Raenen groaned again and pulled a cover over her head. “Hurry up, then.”
Barras hummed a light tune as he mopped at the floors. “I’d like to give a round of applause for the Dathral Freighter Empire for making beds in boxes so I don’t have to wash under them.”
“Go ahead,” came Raenen’s faint voice from beneath the covers.
Barras stood on one foot and propped his mop up against his raised leg. He clapped. “A round of applause for the Dathral Freighter Empire!”
Raenen groaned. “At least be quiet.”
Barras began mopping again. The smile stayed fixed on his face. “Well, you told me to go ahead and clap.”
“I take it back.” The voice was hardly audible.
Barras skidded the mop into a corner. “I’m a spaceship named The Mop! Watch me fly to the corners of the Cabin Galaxy and clean this place of its dirt!” He laughed and slid the wet mop along the edge of the wall. “No dirt can stand against the great The Mop!”
He looked up into Raenen’s fiery eyes. She glared at him. “You know, Barras, you can get real annoying after a while. I suggest you stop, or I’ll sedate you and toss you into the bathroom.”
Barras saluted with a grin on his face. “Yes, Lady Raenen. Your wish is my command. I shall shut up immediately.”
“Do so, then.” Raenen rolled over. “I’d look forward to it.”

––––––––––––––––––––––

Dmitri Pendragon
Blog Moderator

4 comments:

  1. Poor Barras. Being shipped off to a freezing moon and now sentenced to cleaning duty. I like the byplay between him and Raenen, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have a look at his profile, you'll see that his one listed weaknesses is 'Hates the cold'. I intentionally engineered this to send Barras off to the last place he'd want to go.

      Thanks. So do I.

      Delete
  2. Now I should have my characters lure Barras into a cold place . . . mwahahaha . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go ahead! He's in Vastator's cruiser right now, so that may be slightly hard at the current time.

      Delete

CaC2er? Comment, by all means!
Elf of the Underground? Welcome, and we hope you join CaC2!
Viewer? You're welcome to comment, as long as it's relevant.