Thursday 24 October 2013

Labyrinth of Death | Chapter 7

Prologue | Chapter 1 | Chapter 2 | Chapter 3 | Chapter 4 | Chapter 5 | Chapter 6 | Chapter 7


“Wh-what?” spluttered Barras, staring at Raenen’s cards.
Raenen sighed and rolled her eyes, taking five more cards from the draw pile. “Three rocks for each red three. The tenth rock because I got rid of all my cards.”
Falex laughed and slapped his thigh. “Looks like your title’s in danger, Barras!”
“Oh yeah?” muttered Barras grimly as he pushed two-thirds of his rocks to Raenen’s side. He played a green two, then an orange two. “Pick up two cards.”
Raenen added two to the five cards in her hand. “My pleasure.”
Barras harrumphed as he played a red two, grabbed two of Raenen’s rocks, and picked up a card to end his turn. “Your play.”
“Thanks.” Raenen revealed a blue two in her hand. “You didn’t give me a chance to use this.”
Barras groaned as Raenen pulled back the rocks and pushed the blue two to the side. She grinned as she placed a green one and a red two. “Three rocks left, Barras. Play your best.” She picked up a card and gestured to him.
Barras slapped down a green two, a red three, and a red one. “Five rocks. Red one, red three, discarded all cards.”
Raenen nudged five rocks into his pile. “You know, Barras, I seriously think Falex might be right.”
Barras picked up five more cards and glared at them. “He won’t be.”

–––––

Barras sat in the corner, his back to the gathering behind him in the centreroom. He huddled deeper into his blanket and glared at the dust in the join of the two walls.
Falex had been right.
A hand landed on his shoulder. He shook it off. “Leave me alone.”
A credit chip landed on the ground in front of him. “I don’t need this, Barras.”
Barras pushed the chip aside. “I don’t care about the money.” He winced. “As much as…”
After a pause, Raenen spoke again. “As much as…your title?”
Barras turned his head away from her and tucked his chin into his chest. He didn’t reply.
“I—” Raenen’s voice caught. “Did it really mean that much to you?”
“I’ve been the rocks champion for more than a year!” snapped Barras. “And to have that taken away from me…what do I have now to boast about? What do I have to live for?”
Raenen sat down behind him and sighed. “I’m sorry.”
“Sorry won’t help.” Barras scowled at the wall.
“I know.” Raenen hesitated. “You can have your chip back if you want.”
Barras picked up the chip and threw it over his shoulder. “I lost it fairly. It’s yours.”
“Barras, I didn’t mean to hurt—”
“Of course you didn’t!” Barras snapped. “This is all my own doing, not yours. Now leave me alone.”
Raenen fell into silence, but stayed behind Barras, waiting.
“Go away,” Barras muttered.
Raenen breathed out a long sigh. “Barras, you’re a grump. Get over it.” With that, she rose and left.
“So what?” Barras asked softly, glaring at the corner. “I like being a grump.”

–––––

“Attention,” crackled the loudspeaker, a deformed version of Hirda’s voice. “We are approaching the Tallusi system.”
“Oh, who cares?” asked Barras to no one in particular.
“I do,” a voice growled from behind him.
Barras shot up to his feet, spinning in the process. “Yes, sir, Captain Moran. I am at your service.” He saluted.
Captain Moran eyed him suspiciously. “You all right, Kampion?”
“Yes. Yes, sir. Never been better in my life.” Barras faked a grin. “See, sir? I’m smiling. Yes, sir. All right.”
“Good.” The captain nodded grimly. “I found rat droppings in the engine room. Go and set some traps before I decorate the walls with your eyeballs. Get out of here and make yourself useful.”
“Yes, sir.” Barras saluted again and rushed for the door.
“Oh, and Kampion?”
“Yes, sir. Yes, sir.” Barras turned and saluted. “What is it, sir?”
“Don’t fake smiles.”

––––––––––––––––––

Dmitri Pendragon
Blog Moderator

4 comments:

  1. :( Poor Barras. You were right about someone being grumpy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hard on my characters, especially Barras. But I liked seeing him change throughout this story.

      Delete
  2. Poor Barras indeed. Though he's a terrible liar. Anyone could've seen that he was definitely not all right when he was talking to the captain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My point exactly. I didn't want him to be a smooth liar.

      Delete

CaC2er? Comment, by all means!
Elf of the Underground? Welcome, and we hope you join CaC2!
Viewer? You're welcome to comment, as long as it's relevant.